facebooktwitterpinterestspacer

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Farmer's Healthy Diet

I convinced Mark that we needed to go on a wedding diet, but if anyone knows me, they know I don't diet.

It's almost like I physically can't.  I see the chip dip and my mouth starts salivating and I am not even kidding you, I often wake up in the middle of the night craving chocolate, which usually results in oreos and milk at 3 a.m.  I know it's not a great lifestyle, but I honestly have no willpower.  Maybe one day, when I really become the chunky monkey that Mark so affectionately calls me when he sees me chow down on chips and a Mountain Dew, I will finally get some resistance.  Until then, I will try to eat only 3 oreos instead of four.

However, I have been feeling pretty good about my diet lately and I am not even kidding you I saw some real cheekbones in my face for the first time in a long time!  Want to know my secret?  I have been eating a healthy farmer's diet.
 
A few weeks back, my dear eye doctor told me caffeine was probably a major cause of my dry eyes and optical migraines.  Most of the liquid I consumed in a day was either pop or coffee and I wasn't even close to drinking six glasses of water.  Simply put, it was dehydrating me. However, up to that point I hadn't really cared, and even more of a problem, I don't really like water.  That same wise doctor then explained to me that milk and juices counted as a "water" and well, I was set.  You see I like milk and I happily started chugging glasses of it to make me better. Currently, I probably drink 5 glasses a day, or course sneaking in some chocolate milk now and again.  While I understand that milk has some 120 calories per serving, I also know it has plenty of essential vitamins and nutrients and I figure I am at least  getting some bang for my buck (or calories in this case). At least, I am getting some Vitamen C with milk and unfortunately I can't say the same for Mountain Dew.

I have had the same attitude with beef lately.  Now understand, I have and will always enjoy a hearty burger or steak, but it's just reality that the average college girl doesn't cook up a pound of beef every day or even every week.  In fact, if you look back on posts from my crazy fall I was basically living on BWW's HBQ boneless wings and fries. 

After living at home for over a month, I can honestly say my body loves me for reverting back to my beloved beef.  I eat a serving of beef nearly once a day and I feel so much more energetic and focused.  I have always had a problem with iron deficiency and I am confident the protein, zinc and iron in beef are reviving me.

It's refreshing to not be concerned with salads or calories and instead be proud of my weekly diet because it was filled with plenty of beef and dairy, among other things. It not only makes me feel good and look better, but I know I am supporting my industry and putting something in my body that is giving me something back.  I like this diet...and that's saying something because I don't usually like diets. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment